Sunday, March 2, 2008

Ragnar Relay






The Ragnar Relay was this weekend and it was so fun! I was worried about spending two whole days with a bunch of people I didn't know, but everyone was really nice. It was weird to send our first runner off at the start at 1pm on Friday and stay pumped up until we finished on Sat at about 4:30opm. It was also weird how motivating it was when it was your turn to run because your van mates meet you every couple of miles to cheer you on and most of it you are running alone (runners really spread out over the 182 miles) so when you see them, it really gets you going. I actually put up some of my fastest runs on this race! My first leg was 7.56 miles and was very hilly. It was considered a hard leg and I started it at about 10:45pm. I ran it in 1:00:49 with a 8:02 average a mile. My second leg was 2.9 miles at about 8:15 am (we got about 3 hours of sleep which is actually good from what I've heard about these relays!) and was actually hilly as well. I ran it in 20:52, which is about a 7:11 mile. My third leg was the second to last run before the finish line and was through Mesa. They couldn't shut down traffic for the race because it could have shut down a huge area all day, so we had to wait at traffic lights. It was so annoying to stop and than try to pick up the pace again. I got stuck a LONG light (it felt like 5 minutes!) right before my last mile. Good thing my team was waiting a few yards after I crossed the street to help get me motivated again! My last leg was 4.2 miles and it was very hot. I did it in 33:17 which is about a 7:55 mile average (although I actually logged my first two miles at a 6:15 per mile pace which is a first for me). It was really fun to finish and Corey, the girls, Bob, and the entire Babb family were sooo nice to meet me at the finish line. I felt bad because they all came out to celebrate the race finish and I think I said two word to everyone because I went back to the team manager's house with my team to clean out the vans. So, thank you so much for coming out to see me cross the finish line! If anyone ever gets an offer to do one of these relays, even if you don't run, my advice is to do it! It is such a cool experience!

8 comments:

Erica Layne | Let Why Lead said...

Oh my goodness, that blue blue sky makes me want to be in Arizona so bad! Nothing but gray here...

Congrats! That's so amazing you can run a mile that fast! Was it kind of scary running the night legs??

And by the way, we can find out in just a couple of weeks if it's a boy or girl. I don't have the ultrasound scheduled quite yet, but it's coming up.

Mary B said...

Sally is my hero. All of Sally's teammates were gushing about what an incredible runner she is. She's amazing. :)

Mallory Jan said...

WOW that is so fast! I cannot believe that. Go Sally!

Alaina said...

Sally! Again, you are AMAZING! You almost make me envy you.

I can't run an eight minute mile even ONCE. 6:15!? Are you crazy!? Again, I say, AMAZING!

Rachel Eve said...

6:15 minute mile? You are amazing! I worship you!

NatAttack said...

This post makes me TIRED!

Some of my roommates have run before (there's one in Utah that might be a little cooler next time!) and I have it on my list...

But your times are crazy fast. You're AMAZING!

Cheri said...

Sally, you're so adventursome and athletic and cute! Good job! XOX

Unknown said...

You are SOOOOO fast! I wish I could run like you, you're such a STUD!