Friday, January 18, 2008

R.I.P. Cuddles!




So, today I ran over my cat! How many days can you say that? Well, today a bunch of new things happened! I actually cried (no, sobbed!) in front of total strangers! I'm not usually very comfortable crying in public and today was no exception. So, I was very uncomfortable when I rushed my mangled cat to the vet down the street and tried not to feel weirded out when I burst into tears while trying to tell the receptionist I needed help for my poor little cat! Well, I was already uncomfortable so I went with it and just bawled the rest of the time I was there. The vet was so nice and even cried along side of me when she had to put poor Cuddles to sleep. So, here's some things I learned today. It's OK to cry in public if you're a cat murderer. A four year girl KNOWS what C A T spells, especially if you spell it out in a sentence that explains that a car rolled over it's head (when you're on the phone with your husband, who feels bad for you but is also SO glad not to be facing murder charges!). The same four year old will also politely ask you why you ran over the cat with the car in a very innocent but crushing way (no pun intended!). Also, it's amazing how much an annoying, always nipping, never moving out of the way for cars (DUH!), furniture scratching but always ready for attention and cuddling little cat means to a family until it becomes a lesson about life and death for kids! Ashlyn definitely doesn't grasp the concept of the death, which makes me take a step back and realize what a sweet place she in life. Her talks about Cuddle's demise are both innocent and so straight forward... too straight forward! I keep caving from the guilt! Well, sorry Cuddles! Under the wheels of a caravan is no place for such a nice kitty!

6 comments:

Erica Layne | Let Why Lead said...

Oh my word! I'm sorry about cuddles! That would have been an emotional day for anyone! I can't believe it! You and Corey both said more than once that while we were there that that was how the cat was going to die!

But thanks for the many, many laughs. Your narrative of it was amazingly (and maybe a little ironically!) delightful! Good luck with your oh-so-honest-and-open A-Train!

Rachel Eve said...

Oh! How sad! I'll miss you Cuddles. He slept with me on Christmas Eve! I felt like we really bonded.

The way you told this story was just really hilarious. Don't feel bad! I remember you guys telling us too that Cuddles was going to get run over someday.

Now you can get a dog!

Cheri said...

Just remember what a nice life Cuddles had while he was with all of you. You provided everything a cat could want! Remember the good times. Try to forget the bad ones! XOX

kendall said...

Ohhh Cuddles, you will be missed.

Mary B said...

I'm sorry I never, ever petted you, poor little cuddles.

Alaina said...

Oh Sally, this is supposed to be sad but I can't stop laughing! I love your descriptions.

I don't like crying in public either. Kudos to you!